Monday, February 16, 2015

Family Discovery Day-My First Genealogy Conference

At last, my dream came true. After three years of hearing about the experiences of others at RootsTech, I finally had the opportunity to attend. I was late in registering, so all labs were full, but I signed up for the Family Discovery Day to ensure myself a place and at least one day to spend at the Salt Palace. And what a day!

            I pride myself on being an extrovert, but even I was feeling overwhelmed from crowds and noise. The congested Convention Center boasted around 20,000 attendees, and among them the fan-base of Utah’s own David Archuleta.

            Overall, the experience was well worth the trip. It was my first time riding the train, for one. Also, the messages given by LDS leaders were nice to listen to. Church leaders encourage youth and young adults to not only prepare as many names for temple work as they perform ordinances for, but also to help others with this challenge. Also, they shared success stories of youth and young adults in performing the work for their deceased ancestors. 
            The real treat of attending RootsTech was visiting the Expo Hall. I saw many old and current associates among the booths, and learned more about online programs available for training people to become certified genealogists. I felt like my time here was well rewarded. 
We ran into one of our fellow Mocavo employees at the booth for Find My Past
BYU Family History Library employees and volunteers, past and present.
Part of the David Archuleta fan base

No comments:

Post a Comment